Monday, May 24, 2010

The Big Move Home: Day 9


Day 9 Route: Fresno, CA to Hurricane, UT

Pictures: The Big Move Home: Day 9

Where are we now? If you want to see where we are at any time on the trip, register with Google Latitude and add brettsam as a friend.

Day 9 By The Numbers

































Day 9Total
Miles Driven535.72,153.6
Time in Car*8:0747:33
New State License Plates Seen 338
Diapers Changed865
Money Spent on Gas$100.60$384.96
National Parks Visited03

*According to the car's trip computer

Over the weekend, Jess and I started roughly planning out the next week of our trips and we quickly came to the realization that there would be a lot more driving than we anticipated. The first push would come on Sunday, immediately after the big wedding. Both of us were a little nervous about it, but we knew we needed to get as close to Zion National Park by Sunday night as possible. That meant over 500 miles (roughly 8 hours) of driving, which was way more than we had attempted any other day. On top of the time in the car, we use about 30 minutes every two hours for feeding and changing Finley, which put today's estimated trip time at 10 hours. Well, I'm happy to say that we made it, and in almost exactly 10 hours.

We were pulling out of the hotel in Fresno right at 10:45am and started heading south to Bakersfield. From there, it was east to Barstow, then a merge on to I-15 for the trip through Las Vegas (we pulled off for a drive down the strip), a quick cut through Arizona's northwest corner, and into Utah. We got to our hotel around 8:35pm Pacific time (it was actually 9:35pm local time), got into our room, and crashed for the night. You can probably tell by the lack of pictures that the wireless in our hotel room is pretty shabby. I'm not sure when we'll be able to get them uploaded, but as soon as I do I'll update the post with a link. Because of the huge amount of driving, all the pictures are from the car or rest stops anyway, but the scenery on the drive is quite a departure from the forests of the Northwest.

In the car, Jess and I were discussing how easy some of these drives seem. We're not sure if it's the lack of a singular destination or the stops every two hours, but neither of us are finding these drives boring or even that long. Before you know it, the day is almost over, and we're at our next stopping point. Maybe we're just getting used to life on the road, which is probably a good thing as I look at some of the days we have ahead of us. Luckily tomorrow is a short day driving-wise as we head to Zion for the day.

Tomorrow: Zion National Park and then heading to Kanab, UT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics